In May of 1932, Miss Sara Spencer, a teacher and advocate for children's theatre programs, started a theatre group as an outgrowth of her drama class. The theatre group's first full season, the 1932-33 season, included several full length and one-act shows. From its inception, the group received a great deal of support from the Junior League of Charleston.
In 1945, that theater group became incorporated and was chartered with the state of West Virginia and named the Children's Theatre of Charleston, Incorporated. In 1961 Governor W.W. Barron designated the Children's Theatre of Charleston as the official West Virginia Children's Theatre. Thousands of children and adults have participated in Children's Theatre Productions over the years..